Friday, July 08, 2005

Towards egalitarianism

Just two days back, i went to K K hospital. Nope, no relatives gave birth and i'm not pregnant. I merely accompanied my grandma there. And don't try to be funny, she ain't pregnant either.

You'd better not run cos there are so many minute toddlers wandering about. Adorable are the toddlers as they walked around, wobbling. As they run into their mothers' arms, or thighs rather, what surprises me is that their mums are pregnant once again. Has the government's beckoning finally paid off as females start to reproduce? Or am i just plain ignorant? Anyway, i can never imagine myself having a lil' kid and being pregnant at the same time. Gosh! i mean, it's not like i wouldn't want a kid but that kid is still tiny and requires attention. How can wobbling junior and bulging tummy be concurrent?

Another thing that amazed me was that many of those pregnant ladies are accompanied by their spouse. I mean, don't those men have to work? Alright, maybe they took leave. I guess guys these days are different. Our society are not that patriarcal as it used to be. I was told that when my mum gave birth to me, my dad was not there. My grandma had to bring her to the hospital. Similarly, when my aunt gave birth to my cuz, my uncle was not there either. Not only are those men there to accompany their wives for check-up, some are looking after the little kids, running after them, playing with them, making them laugh and pacifying them. How fantastic is that?

Well, times are different. Handkerchief-carrying MCPs are out. Diaper-changing SNAGs are in.

MCP-male chauvinist pig
SNAG-sensitive new age guy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home